Thursday, November 05, 2009

Eye Plugs

I've never even heard of them till I talked with my brother in law about a month ago. I'm having some eye problems, and my eye doctor prescribed Restasis drops for me to use twice a day. She said that it would take about three months for me to really notice a difference with the eye disease that I have. She also mentioned at that first visit that I might have to get these tear duct plugs to help the Restasis work better. I talked with my brother in law after that visit and he said yes, that was typical treatment.

I went to see her again today as a followup. I told her that I could really tell a big difference with the drops, and that the last few days - the drops were starting to really burn. She said that was normal and was a good indication that it was starting to work. She said to put the drops in the refrigerator and that could help with the burning. She also gave me another prescription for some other drops - that are like numbing drops that I can use before using the Restasis so that it will not burn so bad. I'll wait and see about that. She did say that even though I felt a difference, she felt that there would be better improvement from what she was seeing during the eye exam if she went ahead and put some temporary plugs in my tear ducts.

I was a little uneasy about it, but they put some numbing drop sin my eyes and then put in the plugs right there in the office. It didn't hurt, but my eyes have not stopped tearing since she did it. I hope that doesn't continue on...if so - I can tell you right now that I will not be getting permanent ones put in (which is what she wants to do if these work well in another 3 weeks or so).Hmmmm.....I don't know about that....she is going to have to do a lot of convincing me for that to happen.

No comments: