There are books on getting married, having babies, but I don't think that I have seen any books that jump off the shelf telling a parent how to prepare for the "Empty Nest" as many call it. It was very difficult for me and my oldest daughter Jillian went off to college - even though it was only 5 hours away and still in Tennessee - but it was also very difficult and not any easier for me when we dropped off our youngest daughter Christie in Tampa Florida this weekend.
Yes, I am very excited that we have accomplished what other parents often have not - have two wonderfully smart young girls pursuing their careers and wanting to spread their wings - learning new things and pushing ahead in life. It has been a blessing watching Jillian grow! She even has her own apartment now and lives on a budget! YEAH!!!!!
I wish all the joy and blessings that a parent can bestow on her children as they start a new school year.
Yes, it is already an adjustment here at home. Simple things as going grocery shopping - and not getting a box of Christie's favorite cereal....realizing that going to the store no longer means getting a buggy full of groceries - but only two small bags for me to eat dinner alone. Yes, it is an adjustment driving into an empty carport. Yes, it is an adjustment not waiting for a phone call that "I'm on my way home" - so I can have dinner on the table. Yes, it is an adjustment not sitting on the coach watching our favorite tv shows. Yes, it is an adjustment not having all the "extended family" over at the house, grilling hamburgers, playing pool, listening to loud music, or turning the carport or rec room - into a party room. Yes, it is an adjustment!
I guess this time will allow me to learn new things. I now have a "Facebook" and now this Blog! Ed bought a webcam for us to use with SKYPE - I guess I will learn how to use it soon.
I am blessed to have the privilege of talking to my girls nightly on the phone - recapping the days events - a few minutes of the night that I truly can't wait to have!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey Mommy!
I love you so much! I hate that you have to be home alone. But I also look forward to talking to you on the phone as well! I even call you in the morning, its crazy! Well I better get to class.
I love you big bunches!
Sissy
Momma Q,
You did it and yes I do think you have created a monster with all the gadgets. But as Ryan pointed out it isnt safe for you to have all kinds of free time and nothing to do with it :) I'm always excited when I see you on facebook and the skype conversation was pretty fun. You'll be fine.
Love ya,
Elizabeth
Post a Comment