Friday, January 09, 2009

The Shack

This blog entry is dedicated to my daughter Christie who gave me this book for Christmas.

There's something truly profound going on here with this book--and it has little to do with the story, specific words or even with the structure. But it has everything to do with a vehicle for the Holy Spirit to burrow into our souls and dig up stuff that's been buried or hidden for so long that we've even forgotten its there or have elected not to think about it any more.

There are some people in this world who don’t have an idea of just how “Religion” is so intertwined in every muscle, joint, vein, and organ within a person. Even though I feel like I can say, I thought I understood this concept - while reading this book, something still broke inside of me...making me think twice, three times...even more about what I really know and think.

Christie said that this book had totally changed her life – Completely inside and out. I can see why she feels that way- with all the happenings in her life over the last year or so. I find it very interesting that my reaction is much different from hers- but very very deep none-the-less. I don’t think that I have read a book that has transformed my soul – my heart – and my mind as this one has.

Some readers I suspect are used to diving into a story and living vicariously though it and are hugely affected by its emotional wallop, the amazing portrayal of the Trinity relationships and how the main character is brought into their center. It is a stunning story! One that will make you think and think and ponder your own relationship with the Trinity.

I can also see that for others who are apparently reading this book for information or a story line or because someone told them they "had to", don't seem to get much out of it at all. I will go out on a limb and be charitable and say that perhaps they weren't unknowingly searching for Papa and just found it "interesting."

There are going to be those who read "horizontally", looking to the left and the right, asking "What do WE think about this?"… waiting to see what the consensus of their peers and spiritual guides might think before deciding if they like it or not….and then there are those people who have very strong opinions about its value, theological correctness, etc., even though they haven't even read it yet… based on something they heard or read somewhere else. It’s almost like they're afraid they might like it, or be tainted by it, or who knows what.

It does seem to be a spiritual mirror! A look into one’s own soul and relationships. It’s my opinion that conviction is God's work, and He'll use any means available, even a book.

Thank you Christie for introducing this book into my life – and I will definitely pass it along to others - at the right time in their lives. It is a book that is very different from anything else that I have ever read. Who knows...maybe this blog is just enough information for you to want to go out and read it yourself. I will sign this blog - and if you read the book you will clearly understand why I did.

Papa's child

No comments: