Monday, February 22, 2010

The Mighty Pen

Today, writing a note using complete words and full sentences is a thing of the past. With the onset of texting and quick emails - the days of sitting down and writing a letter is long gone. I hate that! I love letters!! I can remember when my girlfriend Kelly and I would write penpal letters to each other every month. Letting each other know how we were doing, what's been happening in each others lives, and things we were looking forward to. These letters were so personal and full of life. Then there was the computer and then email. Now people just write a quick note and send it on - if it's lengthy our time doesn't allow us to read it. There's just something about that mighty pen.

Even cards. Some people don't even send cards in the mail anymore. I will have to admit myself, that I do send a lot of e-cards - but after careful searching for that perfect one and then still putting my two cents worth in it. But I will admit that it is not as personal as a card in the mail, and especially a card in the mail that has a hand-written message beyond a simple few congratulatory words. I have received cards in the past - some that come to mind is the cards that the girls have given me over the years - mostly right when they left for college and was a little homesick. Their cards were filled with love and passion and reassurance that even though they were a little homesick - they were ok, and there was also that reassurance for me that I had raised them well and that they were going to be ok.

I recently received a note in the mail from a young man thanking me for including him as a part of our family. This hand written note took time. Yeah, he could have just sent an abbreviated text, or shot an email my way - but no....it was a hand written thank you. That means alot.

I come across some notes that my mom has jotted down. She didn't remember to send them off, but they are written reminders of her love for me and my brother. Something that I will hold onto for years to come.

I think that I'm going to start doing more of this - this writing. I complained in my last entry about not having time for what's important - this is important - to let those around you know how important they are in special occasions and events. Who knows, I might even right a letter just for the heck of it. The mighty pen is far greater and more sentimental than the click of a key!

No comments: